Name: MAIKKI KANTOLA
Maija Kirsti Markareetta Kantola
Mobile +358 – (0)40 – 507 4487
Date and place of birth: 1967, Oulu, FINLAND
MEDIA EDUCATION | FILM | PHOTOGRAPHY
University of Tampere | CMT – School of Communication, Media and Theatre
- Master's Degree Programme in Media education
▪ Communication University of China | Film & Journalism & New Media (2014)
PEDAGOGY | TEACHING
▪ The School of Vocational Teacher Education at Tampere University
of Applied Sciences (TAOKK)
- Teacher's pedagogical qualification
Satakunta Institute of Art and Crafts | Film and video arts tutor
▪ Technical Arts Course (1991)
▪ Art Pedagogy (1992)
Diploma work: Video workshops in Finland
Turku Polytechnic | Culture | Film | Adult complementary education (2002)
Turku Art Academy – BA Bachelor of Culture and Arts
▪ Media Studies
Diploma work: Media education
Vocation Qualification in Social and Health Care Institute (1990)
Diploma work: Socialisation of Roma community in Finnish society
▪ Tampere University of Applied Sciences (TAMK)
- Communication studies (2010 – 2011)
▪ Tampere Polytechnic, School of Art and Media |
TAMK Polytechnic University of Applied Sciences
- Photography art (2011 – 2012)
- Professional Specialization Studies in Media Art (1.1.2006 – 10.12.2007)
- Professional Specialization Studies in Photography (1.1. - 10.12.2005)
▪ Satakunta Polytechnic / Communication studies (2002)
I’m a film maker, photographer and media educator studied in Turku Art Academy and Tampere University specialised in a children’s media culture.
At the moment I'm working for Arts Promotion Centre Finland as a regional artist. My work field in there is cultural diversity.
Before that I was working for an media- and art education organisation, Videootit (www.videootit.fi) as a director and producer (1991-2002; 2010-2018). We started a project called Video wagon in 2011. It has been offered a practical media education to children around Finland teaching how to make films – documentaries, short action films, music videos and animations.
I'm also working on my own media art, documentary and music video and also photography art projects (http://maikkikantola.weebly.com/) . Most of the subjects are dealing with human beings, different cultures and happiness. I've done also many music videos. I have had in 35 (solo + group) exhibitions (Photography, media-art and animation) in different parts of Finland and one in Ireland.
I've been working as a free lance media educator (2010 – 2013) in Finnish national Broadcasting company's (YLE) Media bus -project running workshops for teens, teaching them to make short films from they own perspective to the Internet. Best of the produced films are being shown in the youth program called “My news”. I was also making 2 x 20 parts series, ”Living pictures”, for YLE's children program about moving pictures and environment control (2002 – 2004). These series are still shown in the TV.
From 2002 to 2010 I have working as a media pedagogue at the Pirkanmaa Film Centre in Tampere, Finland. My duties consisted of planning and teaching various training programmes, mainly with children and their teachers. I hold practical workshops designed to guide children into the world of fiction, documentary and animation. I was also the executive and artistic director of children's Videotivoli Festival and Nordic and Baltic KFK, which are organised jointly by the Tampere Film Festival and Pirkanmaa Film Centre.
Years 1991 – 2002 worked for two media organisations: Videootit and Media Metka organizing a youth film festival “My Film” (Minun Elokuvani.) That time I also run several workshops from short fiction, documentary and animation field.
I'm a member of CIFEJ (http://www.cifej.com) , the Unesco-based International Centre of Films for Children and Young People. I held a seat in the Board of Directors of CIFEJ in a years of 2005 -2008 and 2012 – 2017.
• 34 x grants from different Finnish art centres for art projects and travelling to different festival and work opportunities abroad.
- Art Promotion Centre Finland
- Regional Art Council of Satakunta
- The city of Tampere
- Finnish Cultural Foundation
- Embassy of Finland in Mexico
- Promotion Centre for Audiovisual Culture
- Ministry of Culture and Education
- City of Pori
• 5 x awards from Finland (2004, 2008, 2009, 2014)
• 7 x awards from abroad Kenya, Austria, Iran, Australia, Hungary, Greece,
Germany (2003 - 2008)
• Prize for Young Cinema "for the work with Films & young children
(Osaka, Japan 2005)
• Honorary award for work through the Videootit ry organization in 1992
Risto Jarva assosiation & Cultural award of county of Turku and Pori.
• 42 x exhibitions in twenty different locations in Finland in 2001 - 2020
• 1 x exhibition in Ireland in 2000
• Films has been screened in Finland at YLE and at two foreign festivals.
Films made with children and young people have been screened at several
festivals around the world.
Tallaght Community Arts Centre + Media Access 15.9. – 15.12.2000
- Artist in residents program, Tallaght, Dublin, Irland
Artist residence in Arenys de Mar own by Arts Council of Satakunta 1. – 12.8.2004
• Jury member in ten different countries
→ 10 x children's film festival, 4 x nature film festival, 1 x short film festival, 2 x video festival
▪ Editing programs: Adobe Premiere Pro, Fast, Casablanca, Final Cut Pro /
▪ Animation program: Dragon frame
▪ Other programs: Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, FileMaker Pro, Excel
▪ Driver's licence: AB-licence
▪ (Pori) Video Centre, “Porin Videootit ry" | Videootit ry (1990 → )
- Secretary, treasure, chairperson
▪ Photographic centre Nykyaika, Tampere (2012 →)
▪ International Centre of Films for Children and Young People, CIFEJ (2005 →)
- Member of board
▪ Animation clinic
▪ Pirkanmaa Film Centre, “Pirkanmaan Elokuvakeskus ry”
- Member of board 2002 - 2010
▪ Satakunta Film Center, ”Satakunnan elokuvakeskus ry”
- Member of board, secretary, vice-person, chairperson (1993 - 2004)
▪ The Centre of Film and TV Education in Finland (1992 - 1995)
▪ ETKK's video committee (1996 - 2002)
▪ National School Movie –organization, “Koulukino” (2003 - 2005)
▪ Finnish member in Nordic media net (1997 - 2000)
▪ Satakunta County ‘Youht Culture’ project executive (1997 - 2000)
▪ Live music organisation in Oulu (1985 -1987)
REPRESENTATION, INTERNATIONAL CONNECTIONS
and WORKING ABROAD
• I've held a workshop teaching from children to adults in 15 different countries
from 2000 to 2016
(Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, China, Denmark, India, Iran, Ireland, Japan,
Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates,)
• Lecture in different seminars.
(China, Mali, Iran, Japan, France, Belgium, Romania)
• Research assistant / Finland for Stella van Voosrt van Beests documentary
film “Prisoners of the Ground” 2008
SHOOTING, EDITING, DOCUMENTATION
→ Script, direction, shooting, editing
• 2 introductory videos
• 9 x documents
• 10 x media art
• 6 x music videos
• 3 x music documentation
• 2 x short films played
• YLE | My news program 2010 - 2011 including “Stylish” inserts made by Kantola
• YLE | PikkuKakkonen (children' program)
- 10 inserts in the media education series in 2002-2003
- screenplay, TV face, animation control for the 20-part series “Moving Images”